Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Predictions Time, with my nads on the line!

Below at the bottom, I've copied and pasted the groups. So refer to them to see what I'm about (the world cup obviously!) Right first prediction, clearly the most important! Winners: Right I'm gonna be very boring about this but in my eyes it's either Spain or Brazil.

Pluses:
Spain for obvious reasons. Favourites by far for the following reasons: Euro 2008 winners, Great team, Great football played by them, Good qualifying Campaign.

Drawbacks: Possible tiredness after long hard campaigns by Barca and Real and Athletico Madrid (which has the core of their squad, Different coach led them to glory in Euro 2008, Alot of players just coming off / affected by niggling injuries (Iniesta, Fabregas, Xavi, Torres)



Pluses
: Brazil, on the other hand, haven't been flamboyant but they've been consistent, kinda like their coach Dunga. They've left home flair players (Ronaldinho, Pato, Fat Ronaldo, Fat Adriano) so their all business, no egos. They've had a good Qualifying campaign coming first, and not a bad Confederations Cup last summer.


Drawbacks:
Maybe the reason I tip them, could put them out as well, what if there's no plan B. Alot of defenders are in the squad, what if they come up against another defensively resilient team. Brazil are also in the group of death, but I think they'll get through.

It must be noted that these teams could draw each other in the last 16, especially with Brazil in the Group of Death.

Top Scorer:

Luis Fabiano, for the simple fact that he's quiet handy and Brazil will be playing North Korea in their first game and they will
WOMP 'em!!

Plus, I wouldn't be the biggest fan of the Portugal and Ivory Coast defences (more on them later).










Dark Horses:


I'm play the spread here, (Is that even the right term?), and pick three dark horses!

Contrary to what I just said, If Didier Drogba is passed fit, I fancy Ivory Coast to get far, even after a poor African cup of nations, but I think all the players in that tournament had their minds on the Togo tragedy. All the African teams will be fired up on their home continent.



Saying that,
South Africa cannot be taken lightly either,in my opinion. I'd I'll definitely be wrong here tho. But nevertheless, while they have a tough-ish group, No-one can underestimate home field advantage, plus they looked to have some amount of character in the Confederations Cup (I know I keep referring to the Confederations Cup and the African Cup of Nations, just deal with it).



My last dark horse, USA saaaaawcer ball nation extravaganza! Good group players, good work ethic and seem to rise to the occasion (sometimes) They may even finish top of their group ahead of Eng-er-land!



Final Prediction, Two teams to advance from each group:

(Teams in bold to advance)

Group A.
France, Mexico, Uruguay, South Africa.

Even tho, I've backed France to come out of their group, I said I'd be controversial here. It Could be like 2002 all over again, but worse!


Group B.
Argentina,
Greece, South Korea, Nigeria.

Argentina top, obviously but second is tough. I went for Nigeria because of a better known squad (Fickle I know) but its either them or South Korea, For the sake of football, I hope Greece don't get through.

Group C.
Algeria, England, Slovenia, U.S.A.

Engerland and my dark horses U.S.A here, because the other two are just bad!!

Group D.
Australia, Germany, Serbia, Ghana.

Very hard group this, Ze Germans will be efficient as ever, Aussies keep improving and are playing some nice stuff, Serbia are quiet strong, But Ghana are missing their most influential player and don't seem much without him.

Group E.
Netherlands,
Denmark, Japan, Cameroon.

Netherlands for once, don't seem to have the blacks vs. whites fights this year (yeah i said it) and alot of their squad (except the backs) are key men for big teams in Europe. I'm picking Cameroon just cause I have a man love crush for Alex Song!!!

Group F.
Italy, Paraguay,
New Zealand, Slovakia.

Italy, just cause they are the holders, not a great squad though. I just edged Paraguay over Slovakia, because they may be more used to the conditions in South Africa.

Group G.
Brazil,
North Korea, Portugal, Ivory Coast.

Brazil (duh!), not North Korea (duh!) and not Portugal (because of a bad coach, bad qualifying campaign, never ever ever ever having an out and out striker and now Nani's just got injured). So Ivory Coast by default ;)

Group H.
Spain,
Switzerland, Honduras, Chile.

Spain to win it, and Chile being the best of a bad bunch, unless someone who likes underdogs like myself can see Honduras doing something??!
!











































































































No comments:

Post a Comment